• Services
  • Sectors
  • Our Team
  • About us
  • Insights & Legal
  • Legal Q&As
  • Useful information
  • Contact us
  • Careers
  • Q. I am the owner of a company and I have been threatened by a creditor that it is going to issue a winding up petition. What can I do? I dispute that I owe this company any money.

    A. It is important that you seek legal advice straight away. If a winding up petition is issued this will have a drastic effect on the business and it is likely that your bank will freeze your company's bank account. This will mean that unless you get a Court Order to allow the you to operate the account no payments will be made out of the account.. If there is a genuine dispute then there is a possibility of obtaining an injunction preventing the issue of a winding up petition. The courts will not take kindly to someone threatening to issuing a winding up petition where there is a dispute.

    Kally Singh, partner and head of Insolvency

    *This article was previously printed in the Peterborough Evening Telegraph

    Stay up-to-date with Hegarty