• Services
  • Sectors
  • Our Team
  • About us
  • Insights & Legal
  • Legal Q&As
  • Useful information
  • Contact us
  • Careers
  • People decide to change their name for many reasons. At Hegarty we are able to change your name for you very quickly by completing a document called a Change of Name Deed.

    Who Can Change Their Name?

    Anyone over the age of 16 can change their name. If you are changing a child’s name (under 16 years old) a letter of consent signed by everyone with parental responsibility must be provided.

    What To Do?

    Please call us to make an appointment. We often help people who need to change their name urgently so will try to see you quickly.

    You can either come in person to change your name, or we offer a Microsoft Teams meeting, both of which you must bring the following documents to:

    • Birth certificate
    • Two forms of identification. One must be photographic identification such as a passport or driving licence. The other identification must be less than three months old and show your address such as a bank statement or utility bill

    If you are divorced you must also show your decree absolute. If you have been divorced more than once we will also need to see your previous decree absolutes

    For civil partners, we will need to see either your civil partnership certificate or dissolution certificate

    Creating The Change Of Name Deed

    We will carefully check the documents are correct and then complete a Change of Name Deed. The Change of Name Deed is valid as soon as it is signed.

    What Name Can You Take?

    People are often surprised to hear that they can take on any name they wish, so long as it is not intended to deceive or defraud another person.

    How Quickly Can You Change Your Name?

    If you bring with you the correct documents we aim to create the Change of Name Deed within 30 minutes.

    How Much Will It Cost?

    We offer a fixed fee package of £110 plus VAT for a Change of Name Deed.

    Extra Copies & Free Storage Included In Fee

    As part of our service we will provide you with 5 certified copies, and send the original document back to you.

    Where do I need to change my name?

    Download the checklist to ensure you've covered everything.

    Stay up-to-date with Hegarty