• Services
  • Sectors
  • Our Team
  • About us
  • Insights & Legal
  • Legal Q&As
  • Useful information
  • Contact us
  • Careers
  • Q. My son’s mother wants to move to London with my son, can she do that and if so, what can I do? 

    A. There is no current legislation that prevents a parent from relocating their child from one area of the UK to another. 

    Should you wish to contest the relocation, an application would need to be made to the Court for a Child Arrangements Order. This will be in the form of a Prohibited Steps Order preventing the mother from relocating to London with your son. It should be noted however that the Court’s approach to such applications is somewhat hesitant. 

    The Courts are reluctant to place a restriction on a parent’s freedom to choose where they wish to live. In order for a Court to prohibit a parent who has main care of the child from relocating, an “exceptionality test” will need to be satisfied. This will include: any issues or concerns surrounding the parent’s competence with whom the child will live; any disability of the child and how travel will impact upon this; the extent of any detriment or upset this would cause to the child as a result of moving away from the other parent; and reasons as to why the parent is relocating.  

    Ultimately, the Court’s principal concern in deciding whether relocation should be prohibited revolves around the child’s welfare.

    Contact our team today

    Contact Permission

    We would like to stay in touch with offers, news and event invitations. We will always treat your personal details with respect and we will never sell them to other companies for marketing purposes. You can find details of our full privacy policy here.

    You can stop receiving updates at any time by clicking 'unsubscribe' at the bottom of our emails or by emailing enquiries@hegarty.co.uk

    Please let us know if you would like to hear from us:

    Stay up-to-date with Hegarty