• Services
  • Sectors
  • Our Team
  • About us
  • Insights & Legal
  • Legal Q&As
  • Useful information
  • Contact us
  • Careers
  • 31 May 2016

    Employer keeps getting wages wrong

    Q. My employer keeps getting my wages wrong and is not rectifying the problem.  Is there anything I can do?

    A. You should have a written Statement of your Terms and Conditions of Employment.  Such a statement is usually incorporated into a Contract of Employment.  This document should set out how you are to be paid, i.e. the amount and frequency of such payment.  This would include not only reference to basic pay but also additional amounts such as overtime and commission payments.  If you believe your wages have not been paid properly this is something you should bring up with your Manager or Payroll Department.   It may well be a genuine mistake has been made.  If this is the case your employer should pay any shortfall immediately.  If your employer does not accept that there was a shortfall you should raise this as a formal grievance with management.  If the matter is still not then resolved you may bring a Claim in the Small Claims Court.  You can do this whilst remaining an employee.  If your employment has been terminated either because you have been dismissed or because you have resigned, you can bring a Claim for Unlawful Deduction of Wages in the Employment Tribunal. To speak to Katie Bowen Nicholas about any aspect of Employment Law call 01733 295 672 or email katie.bowennicholas@hegarty.co.uk.

    Stay up-to-date with Hegarty