• Services
  • Sectors
  • Our Team
  • About us
  • Insights & Legal
  • Legal Q&As
  • Useful information
  • Contact us
  • Careers
  • 15 Apr 2021

    Will child maintenance payments stop if I remarry?

    The answer is no. When parents divorce, the absent parent (“paying parent”) is obliged by law to pay child maintenance to the parent caring for the child (“receiving parent”). Should the “receiving parent” remarry, their spouse’s income will not be used in any child maintenance calculations, as payment of child maintenance is a legal obligation of the absent parent (”paying parent”). The reason for this is that your new husband or wife wouldn’t be expected legally to provide financial support for children that are not his or hers. There are however certain occasions when a change in circumstances should be notified to the Child Maintenance Service by the “receiving parent”. Some of these are:-

    • if there is a change in the number of children living with you that you get child maintenance for.
    • a change in the number of nights a child regularly stays overnight with the “paying parent”.
    • a child you get child maintenance for leaves full-time education (up to and including A-Level) or reaches the age of 19.

    Our team of family lawyers can offer support and advice on a variety of issues affecting families and children

    Contact our team today

    Contact Permission

    We would like to stay in touch with offers, news and event invitations. We will always treat your personal details with respect and we will never sell them to other companies for marketing purposes. You can find details of our full privacy policy here.

    You can stop receiving updates at any time by clicking 'unsubscribe' at the bottom of our emails or by emailing enquiries@hegarty.co.uk

    Please let us know if you would like to hear from us:

    Stay up-to-date with Hegarty